The Divine Comedy of W. Peterson

The daily search for...I don't know, whatever.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Harvest Nite:
Well, the party went off without any serious problems. I had such a great time! My mask wouldn't light up though and that was kind of sad. Oh, and my face paint started rubbing off but it was really cool for a couple hours. I couldn't find the DVD for the Legend of the Sleepy Hollow (Bing Crosby) but rented MirrorMask instead which is a 'trippily' awesome movie. I can heartily recommend Trader Joe's ciders. We had their spiced cider hot with apple slices (superb) and their cherry cider cold (tasted like the inside of a good cherry pie). The party took place at my sister's house and the decorations were perfect. Jenn-a-sis and Tina Ballerina totally worked just as hard on the party as I did, which was not only unexpected but much appreciated.

In general I was really pleased with my costume and only wish I could wear it again. I'm working Halloween until 5:30 which kind of messes up Mom's birthday/coffee time. I'm hoping we can still do something! Anyway, back to party~lighting was great, food was good, movies awesome. Every year I forget how creepy Something Wicked This Way Comes is. I'm actually in the middle of reading the book right now. That Ray Bradbury is an excellent writer. His Halloween Tree is good also (an animated feature). Just listen to his description of a fog horn. It is so perfect, it encapsulates everything I've ever felt about them.

Background: A lighthouse keeper telling his new co-worker (always worked alone previously) about a story he made up one lonely, dreary night about the origin of the foghorn. Fabulous!

"One day many years ago a man walked along and stood in the sound of the ocean on a cold sunless shore and said, 'We need a voice to call across the water, to warn ships; I'll make one. I'll make a voice that is like an empty bed beside you all night long, and like an empty house when you open the door, and like trees in autumn with no leaves. A sound like the birds flying south, crying, and a sound like November wind and the sea on the cold, hard shore. I'll make a sound that's so alone that no one can miss it, and that however hears it will weep in their souls, and hearths will seem wermer, and being inside wikll seem better to all who hear it in in the distant towns. I'll make me a sound and an apparatus and they'll call it a Fog Horn and whoever hears it will know the sadness of eternity and the briefness of life.'"

The Fog Horn Blew.


Perfect, no? Also-Keane Under the Iron Sea is an excellent CD. I did not think it would be as good as Hopes and Fears but definitely surpasses expectations. If I may be allowed to opine---this is their best! I love so many songs! Atlantic is lovely and oh....just....yeah. Sorry, listening to it now, so I am somewhat enraptured by their talent and lyrical excellence. Almost done writing a new poem too, which I shall probably post in my next entry.

"I guess I would best classify myself as Mongrolian." >R<

Currently listening : Under the Iron Sea By Keane Release date: By 20 June, 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger Leumas said...

Sounds like you had a good time there. Sorry I wasn't able to make it. Your costume sounded good--you had a light-up mask? Amazing. And though I'm not terribly familiar with the works of Bradbury, I do enjoy what I've read. Very nice foghorn description he has there. I suppose that's the sign of a great writer, being able to take something ordinary and make it sound exciting and different. Oops, did I just comment more on a quote you used than I did for your actual party? So sorry, again. My party experience was fun. I probably won't blog it yet--kinda waiting to see if my friend Jen, co-lady of the hour, will say anything about it on her blog so I can reply. But I'll tell you about it later.
-Leumas

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home